How I can help

The United Kingdom is currently divided into 650 parliamentary constituencies, each of which is represented by one Member of Parliament (MPs) in the House of Commons. Each MP represents all of those who live in their constituency irrespective of whether or how they vote.

As a Member of Parliament I am often best placed to assist constituents with matters relating to functions of central government departments, such as healthcare, education, taxation and tax credits, social security and pensions, citizenship, immigration and passports, student finance and policing.

I also have a role in examining and challenging the work of the Government. This can include raising issues affecting constituents, scrutinising legislation, attending debates and voting on new laws.

An important part of my role is to act as an advocate and champion for Greenwich and Woolwich in Westminster. As such, I am also very active locally, attending functions, visiting schools and meeting with local businesses. This gives me further insight and context into issues that I may discuss and debate in Parliament.

I also hold regular ‘advice surgeries’ in a number of locations across the constituency, where constituents can come along to discuss any matters that concern them. However, please also be aware that strict parliamentary protocol dictates that Members of Parliament may only deal with enquiries and cases on behalf of their own constituents.

I also have a role in arranging members’ tours of Parliament. These are only available to UK residents and are free of charge. Demand is extremely high but to register your interest please email my office.

What I cannot help with

It’s a widely held belief that MPs are able to assist with every type of problem. Sadly, that is not the case.

If you are getting in touch about an issue related to the services provided by Greenwich Council, including issues such as street cleaning, housing options, local planning and parking, you may find that your elected local ward councillor will be best placed to assist you in the first instance.

Please be aware that it is not within my remit to intervene in private disputes, such as those between neighbours, between an employer or employee and individual consumer complaints, or to intervene in outstanding legal matters, and court decisions. However, a number of local organisations including Plumstead Law Centre and Citizens Advice Greenwich may be able to help if you are seeking advice and assistance for these kinds of matters.